A name, a label, a concept, breadcrumbs…are not the thing appearing. Naming and labeling are mental devices reinforcing the creation of an illusory personal me living across space and time. Since language is how we mostly communicate, here are some breadcrumbs, some pointers, to use in mediation or while being in nature.
- Buddha, Jesus, Rumi, and many other spiritual teachers point to the belief in a personal self appearing across a time-based reality as the source of all suffering.
- Raw, unfiltered perception and sensation are the magnificence, the intimacy, and the wondrous mystery of this aliveness, this aware presence, here, now.
- Silence is not the absence of thought. Silence is the absence of a personal self taking ownership of thought and thinking.
- Believing you are a person who thinks and understands that nothing can be known or understood is not the same as realizing there is no one to think or understand, or not think or not understand.
- We forget that words, labels, and names are only metaphors bridging the nameless longings of the heart to the shadows cast by what the brain/mind believes it sees.
- Yearning, striving, searching, inquiring, examining and seeking to awaken and realize the Truth may appear but not to a personal you or me.
- The mind/ego works relentlessly to promote itself and its assumed time-based personal existence.
- What’s looking through your eyes?
- Believing you have a personal awareness or consciousness does not make it so.
- Awareness/consciousness is not divisible so there is no possibility of a personal awareness.
- Most spiritual dogma and traditions encourage a personal self into a belief system that recognizes and preserves a soul or spirit at the death of a body.
- Awareness, consciousness, and appearances are not divided, do not exist in time and space, and have no essence as personal.
- There is no personal internal me or self at the center looking out to an external world of subjects and objects.
- Pure awareness, what simply is, appears so intimately as beingness it’s misperceived as a personal me looking out upon a separate time-based reality.
- The brain works to name, claim, categorize, and own appearances as personal, oblivious to the impersonal nature of pure aware presence.
- Awareness is the perceiving, sensating…is what is looking through the eyes…the seeing, the seer, the seen.
- Most scientists assume their eyes are personal, never exploring or questioning what’s actually looking through their eyes.
- Your true nature, your original essence is infinite, edgeless, timeless awareness so vast and unknowable and undefinable it cannot be named nor understood by the brain.
- There is only one…as in not two. And there is not even nothing beyond nor before this moment.
- What is seeing is self-aware…but it’s not personal though it feels intimate.
- A personal self will never become enlightened or awakened to what is — personal identity is a belief and projection of the brain.
As I’ve said many times before, know this: you cannot mess up, you cannot get this human thing wrong, you have never made a mistake, you are perfect just as you are, even if you do not believe it. There is only this…beyond words…and I am, and you are, this…here…now.